Communication through mobile phones as well as the internet age has not spared us any respite from its clutches. It has now become an addiction and habit for many to use electronic gadgets almost at every instant of their lives. Multitasking daily chores with electronic gadgets is inevitable for scores of individuals. One such multitasking occasion is the use of Mobile phones while driving.
Texting and driving, Driving while taking calls, browsing the web during driving has become increasingly popular. This habit is now spreading like an epidemic and has been officially termed by the state as ‘DISTRACTED DRIVING’ and has caused its toll of 25% of the accidents in the United States. Although this habit might commonly be associated with the teens, adults are not far behind on being victimized by this epidemic.
As a measure to avoid a disastrous outbreak of accidents due to this epidemic of ‘DISTRACTED DRIVING’ the state of New York has taken measures by passing regulations that ban the use of electronic gadgets to perform any kind of task while driving.
The regulation was put into force in 2009 and the law states that ‘no person shall operate a motor vehicle while using any portable electronic device while such vehicle is in motion.’ This means you cannot:
- Hold your device
- take or share pictures
- Play games
- read, type, or send text, email, or any other electronic data.
YOU ARE BANNED FROM PHYSICALLY HOLDING ANY TYPE OF ELECTRONIC GADGETS WHILE
BEHIND THE WHEEL!
The penalty for violating the law includes:
- $150 for fine with an additional $85 as surcharge fees making it a total $235 to be payable.
- Accumulating 11 points within a period of 18 months will lead to suspension of your license. Violation due to distracted driving costs 5 driver violation points i.e., two such instances of breaking the law will bring you a hair’s distance from losing your license.
- Individuals driving on a permit, junior license or probationary license will have their license suspended for 120 days for the first offense and later for a year for subsequent offenses.
YOU LOSE $235 AND YOUR LICENSE IS CEASED. BROKE AND STATIC!
Exceptions to the law include:
- Emergency respondents.
- If you are or have been in an emergency and are trying to communicate.
DO YOU WANT TO BE IN AN EMERGENCY? I DON’T THINK SO!
KRUZR is your solution to avoid a $235 dent in your wallet as well as your vehicle.
KRUZR: A driving assistant mobile app that takes over your usage of mobile phone while you drive
and keeps you safe on every trip, so now you don’t have to break a sweat.